Thursday, March 31, 2016

An Open Letter to Supernatural,

An Open Letter to Supernatural,

In my time in this T.V. as Literature class, I’ve learned many aspects of how you’re created and what influences your outcome. I didn't know about the eras of show runners that you’ve had and how that changed the story over time. I learned just how much the fandom impacted the show and the subtle nods the writers placed in them. I learned names to go to certain writers or directors and how to suss out why I like certain episodes or seasons and not others. While doing my craft bio, I learned more about how the SFX works and what goes into the visual effects. I unfortunately didn’t learn about blood splatter guy but I did learn about a plethora of other ways to view the show.

My expectations of your quality have lowered, sorry. Before this class, I didn’t know what to attribute your less successful seasons to but now that I know where the writers room is now and where it’s possibly headed in the future I know what to expect. Linda has taught me to coil at the name of Dab and praise Kripke. I know that when I see Carver’s name to gear in for some absurdist glory. I’ve gained the ability to keep track of different names and explain why the finished episode turns out one way or the other.

I’ve definitely learned more analysis skills when it comes to television. I also feel like this class has challenged my review skills. I definitely won’t be able to look at you the same way but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing. As for watching you for leisure, well I’ve never been much of a person to devoid my mind of criticism when watching, reading or listening to a story. I’d much rather understand something more than blindly enjoy it anyway.

Thanks for the memories,
Elizabeth O’Malley


P.S. Get rid of Metatron. For the love of God just let him die.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAH. Sorry but that was hysterical - I'm sorry about the Dabb thing. He's a nice guy, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about GET RID OF METATRON! I love Curtis so it's a nod to his acting that we abhor Metatron so much.

    ReplyDelete