Friday, April 1, 2016

The Road So Far: A Supernatural Reflective Letter




The Road So Far: A Supernatural Reflective Letter

April 1, 2016

To the cast, crew, and writers of my beloved Supernatural:


As I write this letter to reflect on what I’ve learned in my class, TV as Lit: Supernatural, I am immersed in the midst of the Mishapocalypse – a word all my apps and devices now recognize as a legitimate word in the English language. My wardrobe consists of a pair of custom Chucks with Misha’s face all over them, and a shirt with Misha’s face on it because, really, you can’t belabor or over-do this particular day.


Coming into this class, I was already a fan. As an English major and writer, I was eager to sit with others and dissect exactly what it is about this particular show that makes it so spectacular; to perhaps discover what is the “lightning in a bottle” that seems to be this show. What I have learned is that the little show that I love is crafted and molded by many different but loving hands. 

The writers, the first to craft the story, have to be imaginative storytellers for characters that are established, well-defined and immensely loved. The production team that includes guest directors who may never have directed on this scale before, have to decide locations, sets, music, effects, guest actors, and a thousand other minutia that viewers don’t know about but would certainly notice if it wasn’t done so well. The actors, whom after eleven seasons could be bored with playing these characters for so long, continue to show up and bring their “A” game every damn episode. The post-production team that has to skillfully sift through hours of scenes and images to put together a coherent and beautiful show that is consistently to a standard that fans come to expect week after week. A standard that has unfailingly been high. These many loving hands are the storytellers.

As a college student, every time I am assigned a group project I inwardly groan. Experience has taught me that someone within that group will not carry their load. To achieve an exceptional end product will be defined by how well the others in the group will have to exceed what was initially expected of them. Sometimes a team rises to the occasion, sometimes they don’t. For Supernatural to consistently produce an elevated team product for eleven years is astounding. Many companies cannot boast this claim.

I have learned to look at this show not just with the rose-colored lenses of a fan but with the critical eye of an artist who wants to discover how to design a beautifully crafted story. It’s not just about good writing, it’s about the nuances. It’s about weaving together threads, placing little nuggets of information in unexpected ways that create a world for an audience that is unique and inspiring for them. That to tell an incredible story, it’s not just about one character or one technique. It’s about how each of those layers upon the other to make the art. That’s why I chose to write this as an open letter to all those involved with the show. Not one individual makes this show great. Some in the team may have a greater load to bear or receive more concentrated attention but each person layers on their particular bit of creativity that only close scrutiny will reveal. 

As a writer and lover of stories, I have an affinity for the truly gifted storytellers. Each one of you, from the person who types up the call sheets to the writers, directors and actors, I truly appreciate the hard work of every person who lovingly crafts this show. You are a storyteller and to me, there is no greater compliment I can offer than that.

In case you thought I was kidding--MishapocaChucks


Your loving and devoted 
Misha-for-a-day,

T.






No comments:

Post a Comment